Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The story of Allie

Here is the rest of the story about our precious Allie Girl.


Big Daddy was watching our local news station (which is a miracle in itself, because we NEVER watch that show). Each week, they feature a pet of the week from our local Warren and Barren County humane shelters.

Sweet Allie was on. (Which makes me think she was down to her last chance. I could be wrong, but I feel like they put the pets who are about to "go down" on t.v.--you know, to give them one last opportunity.)

Big Daddy called me into the room, "Look at this dog. Isn't she cute?"

"I thought you said we didn't need a dog? Why do you show me these things and then tell me we don't need one?"

Fast forward later that day--I had been thinking about that sweet dog all morning. I had tried to find her on the BRAWA website, and had no luck. I called on my break and asked about her. I just KNEW they were going to tell me she had already been adopted. She hadn't!!!!

I sent an email to Big Daddy asking him to bring the boys with him and meet me at the shelter right after school. As soon as school let out, I made another phone call to make sure she was still there waiting. She was. I, secretly, got there about 20 minutes early. I wanted to scope her out for myself. You know...fall in love...or be disgusted...alone.

She was perfect from the moment I looked at her. She never barked. She never jumped. She just looked up with her big ole' sad eyes and stole my heart. When the boys arrived we got to take her to a private room to play. She was perfect. She sniffed the boys. She licked the boys. She never jumped. She never barked. She never nipped. She just wagged her little stump of a tail.

Being the rational one, Big Daddy said we should go home and think about it. He left the boys and I at the shelter to go to a meeting. Mistake #1 ;) As soon as he left, I filled out those papers as quickly as I could. I made sure that if Allie wasn't a perfect match we could bring her back. The boys and I picked out a collar, a leash, some toys, and took our girl. That sweet thing jumped in the car and perched herself right between my two sweet boys.

And that's the story of how we got the best dog on the face of the Earth.

Allie--aka--Allie Girl, Allie Dog, Allie Cat, Als, Allie Poo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you