Friday, June 4, 2010

Fab 5 Friday - Birthday Party Edition

Time for Fab 5 Friday!

I love parties. I love the planning. I love the decorating. I love the cooking. (Big Daddy might say that I get myself a little too worked up at party time.) I just successfully pulled off a fabulous 4th birthday party for BB. So...this week= 5 things that make birthday party planning more fabulous.

1.) a theme- You gotta have a theme. At my house we have had: Green, Barney, Wiggles, Scooby Doo, and Monkey. You don't have to go with a character theme. In fact, I love non-traditional themes like colors, butterflies, cupcakes, or an animal. Whatever it may be...you can't start planning a party until you have a theme. Once you find a theme you can search online for activities, crafts, party favor ideas, games, and all kinds of fun party ideas.

2.) Invitations- I'm all about some adorable personalized invitations. Or even homemade ones. And, don't worry, you can find some really reasonably priced ones. Check out Vistaprint, Etsy, Ebay or Tiny Prints. If you have the know-how and equipment you can even design and print your own. Here is the sample of BB recent invitation.



3.) Cake- I'm a little obsessed with cakes and party food. I like for the cake to be the center of the party. The WOW factor. A sweet friend, Tammy Vogler, from A Taste of Whimsy makes my cakes. A good cake can make a party really fabulous. Here's BB's cake from his 3rd bday.


4.) Balloons- You don't have to have a lot of decorations, just balloons. Skip the banners, the pop ups, the streamers...go with balloons and tie them onto everything. A really cheap way to decorate.

5.) A Special Memory- Find some way to make a memory for your event. At BB's and LB's first birthdays we had a ceramic plate made that the guests put their fingerprints on. At BB's 2nd birthday I asked everyone to write a letter to BB that he will open on the day of his high school graduation. Sometimes I do something as simple as taking a picture of BB with each guest. At our annual Valentine's Day party we take a picture of all the girls and then all the guys. Our picture is posed in the same spot each year. It is fun to look back at all the *changes* in our families.
What are your Fab 5 Friday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you