Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My NEWLY discovered green thumb

I'm just gonna say...I have developed quite a green thumb in "my old age".

Seriously, it wasn't too many years ago that I couldn't keep anything alive. I REALLY loved beautiful flowers and wanted them in my house and in my yard--BUT, remembering to water them, feed them, and prune them= too much work for me.

Something clicked about 3 years ago. My green thumb began to sprout. I was determined to have, keep, and enjoy beautiful flowers at my house. I set myself a schedule to water my flowers, purchased some of this to help them grow big and beautiful, and vowed to keep them pruned and taken care of.

The first year of my mission I purchased my plants from my favorite plant nursery and purchased most of them arranged in pots already and most were already a good size. I have since graduated--now I purchase small plants (which is MUCH cheaper) and arrange them myself (again--this cuts down greatly on my costs). I save my plant containers from year to year so I don't have to reinvest.

I must say--my plan was a success. I have some of the biggest, most beautiful plants in and around our yard. I water them each morning before the heat of the day gets to them. I use Miracle Gro once a week on my potted plants and on anything else that might need a little boost. I am in love with my sweet plants. Really--they bring me such joy. God creates some amazing things and I am glad I have finally mastered how to take care of them :) (Now--if I could only get some GOOD grass instead of the yard'o'weeds we have going on!!!!)

Here are some of my sweet plants. Yes, I am officially OLD because I have taken pictures of my flowers :)

I cannot make you understand how huge these hosta are.


My hydrangea is finally blooming. This thing is a gorgeous pink/green color.


I have 4 daylilys in our front yard. They are insanely covered up in blooms.


This is by our front door. I just recently found those sweet little metal pinwheels at Hobby Lobby. Obsessed with them.

I put 3 small begonia plants in this container and boy have they taken off. They have essentially killed off the spike that was in the middle.


I love my window box. Sweet potato vines and Dragon Wing Begonia are, by far, my favs. Best of all, they are very hardy plants.


Big Daddy got me this precious little mixture for my birthday. He knows how I love flowers.



I blogged about this last year here, but insecticidal soap is my go-to product for my plants. It keeps the bugs off, keeps my vine and hostas from being eaten by snails, and, best of all, it is safe for humans and animals because it is pretty much a soap mixture.

I finally got a knock out rose bush this year for my birthday. I have been wanting one for a long time. I haven't quite figured out the perfect spot to plant it, so I am taking care of it on our back porch.

I am already making plans for next year.......wait for it.......I want......a GARDEN!!!!!

What has happened to me?????? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you