A wedding gift finally was opened this evening. So...that makes it 7.5 years in the making.
Let me back up a bit...
Way back many years ago, my family got into camping. It started out as a 4H trip (YES!!! I was in 4H!!!) and it was meant to be a one time thing - cause none of us were in to the whole "sleep on the ground, out in the hot, walk a mile to use the restroom, building a fire" kind of thing. Turns out, we enjoyed it. We made several camping trips in our tent. But...
It wasn't long until we upgraded to a used pop-up camper. It was fancy - or at least, my Dad rigged it up to be. My parents had a bed, my sister and I shared a bed, and we even had a "guest bed" - now, isn't that just too fancy? It had running water, a refrigerator, a mini closet, a stove, and, best of all, an air-conditioner. Yes, it was still classified as camping. We had so much fun on those trips. So many sweet family memories.
Somehow over the years, the camping trips slowed down (it probably had something to do with the fact that my sister and I were moody teenagers). We got tired of looking at the old camper sitting behind the garage and I am sure my Dad was tired of moving it to mow every week. Eventually, we sold it to a sweet family in our church and had nice thoughts of their family enjoying it together.
Fast forward a few years...
Will and I are getting married and I think it would be fun for us to be adventuresome together and start camping. For a wedding gift, I purchased my sweet hubby-to-be a fancy tent from Sears. I envisioned us going camping together, cooking over a fire, swimming in the lake, etc., etc.
sooo......
It NEVER happened. We never became adventuresome. We never slept in a tent together. We never prepared our dinner over a fire. In fact, we never even opened the fabulous tent. Or the lantern. Or the hammock. Or the tent lights.
Fast forward to 2009...
My parents tell me they want to take BB camping with them. *ding ding ding* I have the tent. In the attic. Never been used. Perfect occasion. Will hauls it down, we blow off the dust, Mom & Dad pack it to Barren River, and 7.5 years later....*drum roll please*....the gift gets opened.
About time.
Summertime Sweets
2 years ago
You are sweet Hannah. I am so glad you remember all of those camping trips. We did have some wonderful times in our tent, our camper and even camping in the back yard. It wasn't easy a lot of the time, but it was well worth the energy and money, both of which we were short on. I am sorry that you haven't used your tent, but it is never too late. William had a great time camping in it and so will Wade---not so sure about Will :). Don't give up on that hope of camping. As you know very special memories are made on camping trips. It was a good gift and a great dream. William is trained now, so go out and pitch that tent!!!!
ReplyDelete