Thursday, December 3, 2009

Life lessons in the car

BB and I ventured out this week for a little shopping.

Our cashier was a natural born male dressed as a female. It was quite disturbing.

Imagine this: large male with huge hands and pink painted nails, a stubble covered with thick foundation, a bumpy stuffed bra, and big male features (nose, ears, chin).

Very disturbing. I tried desperately to not stare, but to be kind and friendly.

Then, I noticed BB doing some serious looking at him -- or her -- or whatever. BB is the most observant little thing I have ever seen, so I got really nervous that he might blurt something out. I did some major distracting. Major. Every time he tried to get a word in, I interrupted.

I totally dodged that bullet. But, I did want to seize the opportunity to teach my little guy something.

In the car we talked about how some people look different from us and how sometimes we may see things that make us want to laugh or stare, but we can't because it may hurt someone's feelings. I told BB if he saw something he wanted to talk about he could just tell me that he wanted to talk once we got back in our car and then he and I would talk about it privately. I thought the conversation went really well.

On to the next store (which was only like 2.5 seconds away, so our conversation had been deep, but short).

We turned a corner in the store and there we were next to a lady in a wheelchair being pushed by a severely overweight gentleman. I caught BB's eye glaring and he gripped my hand. With his eyes wide he said, "Mommy, I have to tell you something when we get in the car."

He got it. Just like that. Sometimes this kid is too easy.

Oh, how I love that sweet BB!!!!! He got it!!!!!

Back in the car, I asked him what he wanted to talk about. He totally caught me off guard. I suspected he was going to ask about the wheelchair because we have never had that conversation. Nope.

He wants to know...

"Why did that man have a really big bottom?"

I totally had to turn my head and chuckle to myself at that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you