Sunday, September 4, 2011

Count Down Bags

I saw this on a friend's FB page and immediately became obsessed with the idea.

The idea is simple: use brown paper sacks to count down the days to a special event. Each bag holds a surprise. Your child opens one bag each day leading up to the big event/occasion. Keep in mind, these items do not have to be NEW items. For example: my friend had a DVD and a bag of popcorn in one bag--for movie night. This opens the creative doors sooo wide!!!! Love it.


I created bags to countdown the days until BB's first day of kindergarten. I was a little late in beginning, so we only counted 5 days down. I purchased small school supply items for his bags-- a pencil box, a new drawing pad, pirate containers for his lunch box, dry erase sentence strips and markers. All of these items I purchased in the dollar section at Target (which happens to be one of my most favorite spots). The final bag held a larger item: a Batman water jug for his lunchbox that he had been eyeing.

I loved his excitement about opening a bag each day and I hope that it made him feel like this new adventure in life was an important milestone.

I have good intentions of making more creatively decorated bags. It might be nice to laminate them or preserve them in some way so you could just reuse them over and over instead of having to reinvent the wheel each time. Any suggestions on that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you