Friday, September 9, 2011

Going old school

BB loves to talk. It was my problem in school, also. Pretty much, the only times I got into trouble was when I was running my mouth when I shouldn't have been. BB got that gene. He loves to talk. He loves to ask WHY. He loves to share his thoughts. I warned his sweet little teacher of that at the beginning of the year.

It was no surprise to me when he came home two weeks into school and announced he had to move his trophy to orange and he had to sit 5 minutes of his recess for talking. Shocker. Big Daddy and I have discussed several times what to do when this happens--as parents, we feel compelled to do something because we don't want him to think this is acceptable behavior--BUT, just how big of a deal do you make it? It's not spanking worthy--at all. And of course there is the whole "your-Daddy-is-the-principal-you-have-to-be-a-good-example" pressure that is placed on him.

So. What to do? What to do?

Last year, the first time we just talked about it and the times after that we would talk and take away a privilege (like a tv show or a special toy).

This time, we talked and then I went old school.


I got some paper and a pencil. I had him copy the sentence, "I will not talk." I didn't get hard core and have him copy it 100 times or anything. Just wanted a gentle reminder that we expect him to listen when his teacher is talking.

So--almost a month in and he has only had to move his trophy ONE time :) Big Daddy and I go out of our way to PRAISE the fire out of that kid every time he comes home with a smiley face report in his backpack.

I had to chuckle when he shared this with me the other day.

BB: Mom, I stayed on green today.
Me: That's awesome buddy. I am so proud of you.
BB: You know what? She didn't even have to tell me is was ABOUT to move to orange!!
Me: Oh. (grinning under my breath) She didn't? Does she have to tell you that sometimes?
BB: Yeah. Sometimes she says, "If you do it again you are going to have to move your trophy."

Oops. Let the cat out of the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you