Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My run in with *the law*

Dear Mr. Police Officer,
I was totally fine with you pulling me over. I get that. I was speeding. You caught me. I understand.

I was totally fine with you politely introducing yourself and explaining that you pulled me over because I was going 14 mph over the limit. Fine with it. I was fine with the fact that you asked me if I had a reason for speeding and I didn't have one other than being *overwhelmed*.

I was fine with you requesting to see my registration and license. Got that.

I was pretty patient when you went back to your car and took like 5 hours to do something back there...while my children grew very impatient. I remained calm.

I was grateful when you announced that you were going to just give me a warning. So grateful.

Things turned bad when you told me that you were more concerned about the children in my car than about me speeding. And then things turned dramatically WORSE when you announced that I "need to work on being a more responsible mother".

REALLY?????

How does you catching me going 39 mph in a 25 mph zone give you that kind of information on my mothering?

39 mph. Not 70, or 80, or 90. 39.

REALLY?????

You don't know me. You have no idea what type of mother I am. And I do believe that I could be doing a whole lot worse than driving 39 in a 25. I'm pretty sure my kids will turn out ok despite that. Futhermore, I had just gotten done taking my baby to get his shots...that's responsible. I had both my kids safely buckled in...that's responsible. I was in the midst of planning a birthday party...that's responsible.

REALLY?????

Can I just say that working in the public school system that I have seen irresponsible parents. I know what that looks like. It ain't me. Yes, I make mistakes. A lot. BUT, responsible? I got that one covered.

REALLY?????

Seriously.

Sincerely,
A Very Responsible Mother

1 comment:

  1. Seriously. Mr. Policeman definitely overstepped his bounds, right into the territory of that which he knows NOTHING about. For what it's worth I got a TICKET (the only one I've ever had) for going to 35 in a 25. Luckily, the judge laughed and threw it out. We're rebels like that.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear from you