Saturday, July 2, 2011

Update on our summer together

I must say, we are surviving this "summer thing" pretty well. The boys and I are going on all kinds of adventures and having the best time together.

Our schedule is very important.

We begin each day by walking Allie together. All of the time Most of the time, my hair is pinned up on top of my head, my eyes are black from the makeup that didn't fully wash off the night before, and I have a portion of my jammies still on (usually the same shirt). The boys are a sight to be seen also. LB rides in the wagon in his tee and his diaper (no pants and no shoes). He is my cold natured baby, so you can find him wrapped up in a towel while the rest of us sweat. BB is usually in his too-short shorts, a tee, and his black cowboy boots--and he rides his bike beside us. I pull LB in the wagon with one arm and Allie pulls me on the leash on the other arm. It takes us an eternity to get around our 1/2 mile circle--inevitably, someone gets tired, someone wants to walk, someone gets hurt, someone wants to pick up a rock, or...you name it!!!

The boys (LB shoeless and in his diaper) play around outside for a few minutes while I love on my plants before the heat of the day gets to them. Then, it's breakfast time--where we always triplely bless our meal ;)

Then, on to Bible time. BB doesn't like this part of the day because, "I have to be so quiet." :) I have tried to remind him that God calls us to be quiet before Him and that is when He talks to us and teaches us. We all three read our Bibles on the couch together--some mornings that lasts 5 minutes and some 15--that's how it goes with a 2 year old. We always read a Bible story aloud together after we each have individual quiet time.

Then--PLAY TIME. This is when we go into our weekly routine. I try to get the boys good and worn out by noon, because that ensures a good nap time :) Typically I can get at least 2.5 hours out of each of them--many days, longer. Some days I get lazy and join them for a little siesta. Some days I get a second wind and get busy around the house. Some days I curl up and watch some adult tv.

I have found that when I focus my morning on my children and on God (and praying MANY times a day for patience, patience, patience--and that I may be a good example for my children), we have great days together. When I give them all of my morning energy, they aren't starved for attention the rest of the afternoon. After nap time, they are ready to dive into their toys and play together. This usually means I have time to cook dinner or do some things around the house. When I planned structured activities for us to participate in and when they know how our day is going to work, they are in much better spirits and I feel like we have used our time together wisely.

So--I'm loving our summer together!!! Chances are great that my children won't remember all of the crafts, activities, field trips we will participate in this summer, but I know they will remember feeling loved and important. That's enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you