Friday, January 22, 2010

At what point is it official?

Several years back -

One evening BB, Bid Daddy, and I (before LB's time) were taking an evening stroll around the neighborhood. It was a cloudy evening and it was looking like it could pour at any moment, but we went anyway.

Halfway around our neighborhood circle the clouds got really dark. And started moving really fast. The wind picked up. Debris was blowing through the air. We were frightened. Big Daddy said we had to get home fast. We started running. A few seconds in and I couldn't run any more. I was exhausted, in pain, and breathing heavily. I motioned for Big Daddy and BB to keep going and to leave me behind (it was very dramatic!!!). Mind you, we were 1/4 mile from our house.

How pitiful? Age 24 and I couldn't run 1/4 mile. It was then that I decided that I had to get myself in better shape.

Well, I got pregnant shortly after that and I had to put my plans on the back burner. But, as soon as I popped LB out, I was on a mission. A specific mission. I wanted to be a runner. At that point in time, anyone who could run a mile without stopping was, in my mind, *a runner*.

So, here I am. Many months in on my mission. I have:
-I survived a 2K (1.8ish miles).
-I purchased some really fancy and expensive running shoes.
-I have purchased cute running outfits (which are very important).
-I am running a 5K in March.
-I have set a goal to run 500 miles this year.
-To meet my goal I have to run at least 1.37 miles a day. I have been running 2 miles a day.

So, why don't I feel like a runner?

Now I feel like you aren't really *a runner* unless you have run at least a half marathon. Seeing as I don't ever plan on running 16 miles even in one DAY, maybe I won't ever be a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you